Ekovir John Lee
Manufacturer: John Lee Substance: Acyclovir (Zovirax) Pack: 400mg (5 pills)
Ekovir (Acyclovir) – an antiviral (antiherpetic) agent for external use – a synthetic analogue of the nucleoside thymidine, which is a natural component of DNA.
Indications for use
Indications for use of the drug acyclovir should be determined only by a doctor. It is impossible to engage in self-treatment, as it is possible to choose the wrong drug, choose the wrong dose. In addition, often the patient is mistaken with the diagnosis, even if he does not doubt that he is right. Indications for use of the drug acyclovir vary depending on the form of the drug in which the drug is released.
The main indications for use of the drug acyclovir are as follows:
- Treatment of infectious lesions of the skin and mucous membranes, which are caused by the herpes simplex viruses (both primary and recurrent genital);
- Preventive goals against disease recurrence in people with intact immunity and immunodeficiency;
- Treatment of diseases such as chickenpox and shingles;
- Treatment of herpetic lesions in children of the first month of life (including intrauterine infection);
- Prevention of cytomegalovirus infection in patients undergoing bone marrow transplantation;
- Treatment of herpetic corneal lesions (for ophthalmic ointment).
When ingestion, regardless of food intake, about 20% of acyclovir is absorbed. Binding to plasma proteins is relatively small (9-33%). The concentration in the cerebrospinal fluid is approximately 50% of the plasma concentration. The maximum concentration is determined after 1,5-2 hours.
The half-life of Ekovir (Acyclovir) for ingestion is about 4 hours. It is allocated mainly by the kidneys in an unchanged form, in part (10-15%) in the form of a metabolite – 9-carboxymethoxymethylguanine. With renal failure, the elimination half-life increases significantly (up to 19.5 h). Acyclovir penetrates through blood-brain and placental barriers, excreted in breast milk.
To prevent crystallization in the tubular apparatus, it is recommended that a large amount of liquid be taken during the treatment period.
Symptoms. Headache, neurologic disorders, shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, lethargy, convulsions, coma.
Treatment. Maintaining vital functions, hemodialysis.